Defiance City Schools
Network and Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Agreement
Users may access a computer, portable device, or network account only by using their own assigned network username/password. Personally owned devices are allowed on the network only with approval from administration and/or technology staff.
2. Users are responsible for their behavior and communication on the computer/network. Users may not access the network or school property to engage in transmission, receiving, or possession of obscene materials or pornography of any kind. Users may not send or receive emails that contain inappropriate or obscene comments, suggestions, or language.
3. Users may not intentionally seek information or modify files, data, or passwords belonging to other uses, or misrepresent other users on the computer/network.
4. Users may not access the network or school property to engage in illegal activities such as software pirating, peer to peer file sharing, and/or intellectual property violations. Rules against cheating and plagiarism will be enforced.
5. Software may be installed on school devices only with the consent of the administration and/or director of technology.
6. Users may not access the network or school property to engage in "hacking", defined as malicious use of the network or school property to develop programs intended to infiltrate a computer or computer system to cause damage to the computing system or network. Users may not access the network or school property to disrupt its use by others.
7. Users will not disseminate any personal identification or information regarding minors.
8. Users may not bypass or attempt to bypass the district's technology protection measures. Subject to staff supervision, technology protection measures may be disabled for adults or, in the case of minors, minimized only for bona fide research or other lawful purposes.
9. Transmission of any material in violation of any state, federal law, or regulation or board policy is prohibited.
10. Any use of the network or school property for commercial purposes is prohibited.
11. Use of the network or school property to engage in cyberbullying is prohibited. Cyberbullying involves the use of information and communication technologies to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior by an individual or group that is intended to harm others.
12. While on the school network, unauthorized use of chat clients, social networking sites, and personal web-based email are prohibited.
13. Privacy in communications over the internet and the school network is not guaranteed. The school reserves the right to inspect any directories, files, and/or messages residing on or sent using the school network or property.
14. Users and/or parents will indemnify and hold the district harmless from any financial losses or legal ramification sustained due to misuse of the network or school property.
15. Unauthorized use of games, videos, movies, while on the network or using school property is prohibited.
16. When using the network or school computers students (specifically) must follow the directions of school teachers/staff and adhere to school policies. It shall be the responsibility of all members of the staff to educate, supervise and monitor appropriate usage of the online computer network and access to the Internet in accordance with this policy, the Children’s Internet Protection Act, the Neighborhood Children’s Internet Protection Act, and the Protecting Children in the 21st Century Act.
Failure to adhere to network policies and rules may subject users to warnings, usage restrictions, disciplinary actions, or legal proceedings.