It is the goal of the Defiance City School District to keep all of our students and staff as safe as possible while continuing to provide quality education to our students. The District recognizes that each family is in a unique position when deciding how their children return to school. Please take time to thoroughly review the Defiance City Schools Responsible Reopening Plan for 2020-2021 and the information below to make the best possible decision for your family. Below you will find the guidelines and application for the Defiance Virtual Academy (DVA).
- The Northwest Ohio Virtual Academy (NOVA) will provide the platform for online coursework.
- Students will be enrolled in courses most similar to those they would be taking while physically attending school.
- Each course will have an outline including educational activities and assignments. Each activity and assignment will have a deadline. Tests and quizzes will also be included in these courses
Guidelines for Participation in Defiance Virtual Academy
- A requirement for enrolling is access to reliable internet.
- School fees may apply.
- Students must be actively logged in to meet attendance requirements per enrolled course. The time will be recorded from Sunday midnight to Sunday midnight each week. Actively logged in is defined as a student logged in to the system and engaging in the content. The NOVA program will record how students are interacting with the program, for example, mouse movement, page turning, typing, etc. Any student who is logged into the program but not actively interacting with the content will not be recorded as actively engaged. Any student not actively engaged will not meet attendance requirements and may be reported as truant.
- Students will be required to be organized and aware of all educational activities and assignments the program has outlined for them.
- Students will complete all assignments by the assigned deadlines. Any work not completed by these deadlines will be reported in the gradebook as a 0% F.
- This is an online program. All instruction and assignments will be provided by this program. Defiance City Schools staff are not the main instructors for these courses. A staff member will be available via email for questions pertaining to trouble-shooting.
- Students enrolled in DVA are eligible to participate in co-curricular activities, such as band and choir. However ,these activities require students to be enrolled in a face-to-face course within the building.
- Students enrolled in DVA are eligible to participate in extracurricular activities
- If school is mandated to be closed for an extended period of time, students enrolled in DVA will continue with the same courses and timelines in DVA.
- Students may be issued a school owned device for $25. Students may utilize a personally owned device. The school is not responsible for trouble-shooting personally owned devices.
- The Defiance City School District reserves the right to deny students participation in the DVA based on attendance, grades, and/or code of conduct.
- Applications (click here) must be submitted no later than Monday, August 10th, at 12:00 p.m. No late applications will be accepted.
- Students will be required to be enrolled one semester (2 quarters) at a time. At the end of the semester, students may choose to continue with DVA or return to the physical classroom. Any student enrolled in DVA will automatically be enrolled in DVA for the following semester. If a student does not want to continue in DVA, a parent/guardian must present the request in writing to the building principal by December 18, 2020. The building principal will work with the parent/guardian to have the student return at the beginning of second semester which begins on January 11, 2021.
- Any student who chooses to attend school in the physical classroom for the first semester but would like to transition to DVA for the second semester must fill out an application and submit it to the building principal no later than December 18, 2020. The building principal will work with the parent/guardian and student to have the student begin DVA at the beginning of the second semester which begins on January 11, 2021. Informational Meeting There will be an Informational Meeting for those that apply to DVA on Thursday, August 13, at 6:30 p.m. via Zoom. The link will be sent to the parent/guardian’s email prior to the meeting time.